Combine the Best of Game Viewing & a Taste of Culture in Khwai (Okavango Delta)
Providing a peaceful co-existence between man and nature, the Khwai Community Concession allows you to experience the best of wildlife in Botswana’s iconic Moremi Game Reserve, combining your safari with a taste of culture in the old village of Khwai.
The camp is perfect for small private groups, families or independent travellers with its capacity of 12 beds. Combining luxury with the rustic wilderness setting, Khwai Tented Camp allows for the best wildlife experiences set in a community based wildlife resource area.
Camp opens:All year round
Click here: Khwai Tented Camp to review the experience online
- Location: On the Northern edge of Moremi Game Reserve in the Okavango Delta, the Khwai Community area forms the frontier between Chobe and the Okavango Delta (Botswana). Note that the *NEW* Khwai Tented Camp has been relocated to a lovely semi-permanent site along the edge of a lagoon which runs into the Khwai River.
Coordinates: 19° 9’11.62″S 23°46’18.25″E
- How to get there ?
You may reach the camp:
- by charter flight to Khwai airstrip (30 mn away from the camp) from any airport in the region (Maun: 30 mn, Kasane: 1h).
- by road transfer: either from Maun (4 hours), or possibly Kasane, Victoria Falls, Linyanti, Saile …
- Self drive is possible but recommended only for experienced 4×4 drivers:
Please check out our safari maps or contact us for directions.
- Camp opens: all year-round.
- Children: are accepted from the age of 7.
- Ideal length of stay: 2 to 3 nights
- Safari itineraries: Khwai Tented Camp is often combined with trips into Linyanti Bush Camp, Linyanti Ebony Footsteps Across the Linyanti in Chobe, or even Somalisa Camp and Somalisa Acacia in Hwange, and Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe). Check our safari itineraries or contact us!
- The environment : Adjacent to the Northern/Eastern parts of Moremi Game Reserve and to the Southern/Western corner of Chobe National Park, and along the River Khwai, this beautiful wilderness area provides the perfect setting where a community living in harmony with nature and wildlife is completely evident.
The magnificent Khwai River forms a boundary between the reserve and the community area, and is the hub for some of the most outstanding wildlife viewing in the region. As the sole source of water for miles around, the Khwai River attracts wildlife from near and afar. The vegetation here is quite different from the Western section of Moremi where great stands of leadwood and mopane woodlands occur in close proximity to open grasslands and the Khwai River. Read More »
- Wildlife : Wildlife encounters include lion, cheetah, leopard, wild dog, elephant and a multitude of plains game including buffalo, zebra, giraffe and impala to name a few. Read More »
- The Khwai Community: This village is home to river bushmen from the Bayei group, who carry out a naturally harmonious lifestyle. African Bush Camps works closely with the community to carry out local development projects.
- Activities : Game drives, guided walks, village visits to the Khwai Community, day trips to Moremi Game Reserve can all be arranged prior to travel.
A benefit of the community concession is that we are able to conduct walking activities, which are not permitted in the National Parks or Game Reserves. The opportunity to explore the surrounding wilderness on foot allows for guests to enjoy up close and personal encounters with the animals, the flora and fauna. Visitors are encouraged to walk through the village of Khwai, meet some of the elders, and learn how the people live alongside animals in close contact to nature.
- Our guides are some of the most experienced naturalists and professional guides in Botswana Read More »
The camp has an aura of romance reflected through the elegant furnishings of colonial and tribal eras, and yet provides modern comfort and full service.
- Camp situation : Based along a lagoon following into the river Khwai.
- Capacity : 6 luxury meru style tents with a total of 12 beds
Khwai Tented Camp is an intimate safari camp which can be booked for a minimum of 2 people travelling.
- Accomodation: Luxury semi permanent camp, Hemingway style.
You will enjoy spacious and comfortable tented accommodation on wooden decking, with oversized twin beds and private en-suite bathrooms. Furniture includes a hanging canvas wardrobe, bedside table, luggage bench and sisal matting. The en-suite bathrooms have a flushing toilet, and open-air bucket showers. Large tin-jugs of hot water are regularly provided to supply the bathrooms and canvas wash basins on the verandah.
The tents as well as the bathrooms are insect proof.
- Facilities: Main Area with library/sitting area and bar/dining table.
Set on wooden decking overlooking the lagoon, the main lounge and dining living area is fitted with comfortable Morris chairs and interesting antiques, to enjoy the camp fire and the evening starlit sky in full elegance.
- Cuisine : although the camp is out in a remote location, we pride ourselves on genuine cuisine prepared in a traditional bush-style manner with the highest quality and freshest of products. The day starts with an early morning buffet breakfast, before the game drive, and will be followed by a picnic outing. Snacks and cakes are available throughout the day, and sundowner drinks are offered either during game drives or in front of the campfire. A wide selection of drinks is available at the bar.
- Eco-respect : There are no permanent structures at Khwai Tented Camp and everything can be removed to leave the wilderness exactly as we found it, having little or no impact on the environment. The camp uses solar lighting and wind up bed side lamps and torches. Wash basins are filled with hot water and placed in front of guest tents in the morning. Gas stoves, fridges and hot water use clean sources of fuel (Gas). For radios and communication solar powered equipment is used.
- Communications: The camp is in radio contact with the safari vehicles, Linyanti Bush Camp and Maun. A telephone is available in Khwai village if needed.
- 495 US$ from November to June included (low and medium seasons)
- 630 US$ from July to October included (high season)
165 US$ single supplement (high season only)
Learn more about safari seasons »
Children under 12 years benefit a 50% discount when sharing with one or two full paying adults in a twin or triple during Family Months (January, March to June, November to December included). Out of Family Months , they pay full adult rate. For younger children please enquire directly. See our child policy or contact us.
Private safaris: For a private trip, guests must pay for 10 people.
All-inclusive policy: Our rates are per guest per night and include: accommodation based on 2 persons sharing, all meals, all beverages except premium imported spirits and champagne, two game viewing activities per day, laundry, transfer from nearest airstrip and internal transfers if needed. See details in our Rates & conditions page.