The New Botswana Zebra Migration Camp for Green Season Safaris in Nxai Pan
Nxai Pan and the Makgadikgadi Pans is a relatively undiscovered part of Botswana that offers some of the best wildlife sightings available in Botswana, especially during the Green season (November through to April). During this time of year, this part of Africa is transformed through the incredible spectacle of the Zebra Migration where thousands of animals return to the desert at the onset of the rains. Open in February 2009, Nxai Pan Migration camp is the only lodge option to witness this incredible spectacle.
Camp opens:during the green season only (November to April included)
- Location: Nxai Pan Camp is located on the Western border of the Nxai game reserve, in central Botswana. Nxai Pan National Park lies 150km to the east of the Okavango Delta, on the north side of the main Maun to Nata road – while Makgadikgadi National Park lies on the south side of the road.
- How to get there ?
The park is very accessible either:
- by road transfer or self drive from Maun (approximately 2 hours) – please contact us for directions.
- by light aircraft from Maun (approximately 50 mins) or the Moremi Game Reserve in the Okavango delta (approximately 15 mins).
Please check out our safari maps.
- Camp opens: during the green season only (November to April included)
- Children: are accepted from the age of 7.
- Ideal length of stay: 3 days
- Safari itineraries: during the green season, a stay at Nxai Pan may be best combined with a safari in the Central Kalahari game reserve. Visits to Moremi Game Reserve and Khwai area in the Okavango Delta, Victoria Falls and Somalisa Camp or Somalisa Acacia in Hwange (Zimbabwe) are also good options.
Check our safari itineraries or contact us!
- The environment : The Pans of Makgadikgadi and Nxai were once the centre of a great lake that has been dry for at least two thousand years, and is today thought to be the largest of the saltpans in the world. The Nxai Pan National Park is over 2,100 square kilometers and is situated 130km South East of the Okavango Delta. Today Nxai pan is a flat grass covered pan dotted with islands of clustered Acacia Tortilis trees and Mopane woodland in the North, where an amazing array of wildlife can be found. Read More »
- Wildlife : The pans offer some of the best wildlife viewing in Botswana during the Green season (November through to April), when the incredible spectacle of the Zebra Migration can be witnessed. During this time large numbers of Zebra, Gemsbok antelope (Oryx) and Springboks can be seen. In addition, the increased numbers attract the resident cheetah and lions. Nxai Pan is also well known for its extraordinarily large herds of Giraffe with up to 30 in a group. Other animals that can be seen include the blue wildebeest, eland, greater kudu and red hartebeest. The more commonly seen predators are the spotted hyena, cheetah, leopard and jackal whilst the elusive brown hyena can be a rare treat. Birdlife is excellent in the rainy season, November to April when the Nxai pan is at its best. The noisy black Korhaan is the hallmark of Nxai pan and small raptors such as Kestrel and goshawks abound. Read More »
- Safari Activities include open-top 4WD game drives. A visit to Baines Baobabs is also a popular attraction.
- Our guides are some of the most experienced naturalists and professional guides in the area Read More »
- Camp situation : the camp is set on the western extension of Nxai Pan itself, and is the only camp in the reserve ensuring a peaceful and exclusive setting for your african safari.
- Capacity : 4 luxury Meru tents with a total of 8 beds.
The camp is intimate, ideal for small groups and families.
- Accomodation: Luxury tented camp. The camp is a mobile tented camp with spacious 6 x 4 metre Meru-style tents with en-suite bathroom, long drop toilet and an outdoor bucket shower.
- Dining & Cuisine : Enjoy a sumptuous meal prepared over the camp fire by your exclusive chef and exchange stories of the days game-viewing experiences under the stars.
- Communications: The camp can communicate by Satellite phone in case of emergency.
- US$ 460 from November to April included (low season and part of medium season)
- Closed from May to October included (high season and part of medium season)
Learn more about safari seasons »
Children under 12 years children will benefit a 50% discount when sharing with one or two full paying adults in a twin or triple during Family Months (January, March to June, November to December included). Out of Family Months , they pay full adult rate. For younger children please enquire directly. See our child policy or contact us.
All-inclusive policy: Our rates are per guest per night and include: accommodation based on 2 persons sharing, all meals, all beverages except premium imported spirits and champagne, two game viewing activities per day, laundry, transfer from nearest airstrip and internal transfers if needed. See details in our Rates & conditions page.