Your Private Safari Camp in Hwange, Zimbabwe
This is a charming small exclusive camp situated alongside the famous Somalisa Camp, known as the home of the elephants, in a private concession in the heart of Hwange National Park. Meant for private safaris, the camp caters for small family groups and those requiring a private experience shared with a maximum of 10 people. All the beautifully built but simplistic luxurious tents are on slightly raised decks, under the canopy of a grove of acacias on the western side of Somalisa. The camp enjoys its own private views of a small water hole that is frequented by large herds of big game which include buffalo, elephant, kudu, zebra, giraffe, and lion.
Camp opens:1st April 2011 and will operate all-year round.
- Location:Hwange National Park is located half way between Bulawayo and Victoria Falls, in Western Zimbabwe. Somalisa Acacia is situated along the famous Somalisa Camp, known as the home of the elephants, in a private concession within the National Park.
Coordinates: S 19* 02. 697′, E 027* 03. 016′
- How to get there ?
Hwange National Park is easily accessible on the road linking Bulawayo and Victoria Falls.
- by charter flight: we can arrange a flight to Hwange Airstrip or better, the new Manga airstrip 30 mins from the camp.
- by road transfer: Hwange National Park is about 4 hours from Kasane Botswana or Bulawayo, 3 hours from Victoria Falls. An additional hour and a half is required to reach the camp.
- Self drive to the camp is possible: you will need 4WD and a map – please check out our safari maps or contact us for directions.
- Camp opens: 1st April 2011 and will operate all-year round.
- Children: Children under 6 years old are only accepted during Easter, Christmas and special promoted periods, or by prior arrangement: please contact us.
- Ideal length of stay: 3 or 4 days.
- Safari itineraries: Somalisa is a must if you visit Victoria Falls or Bulawayo. You may easily combine your stay at Somalisa with Kanga Camp or Zambezi Life Styles in Mana Pools, Linyanti Bush Camp, Linyanti Ebony or Kwhai Tented Camp in Botswana. Check our safari itineraries or contact us!
- The environment : The largest reserve in Zimbabwe is home to one of the highest concentration of game: the park boasts more than 100 different animal species and over 400 species of birds. Moreover, Hwange is world famous for its 30,000 elephants, making it one of the few great elephant sanctuaries left in Africa. Read More »
- Wildlife : Walking and game drives will allow you the opportunity to observe elephant, kudu and sable antelope, zebra, wildebeest, gemsbok, the rare and endangered roan antelope, buffalo, giraffe, white rhino, lion, leopard, hyena, wild dogs and many other wildlife species. The Kennedy vlei is littered with flamboyant colours from all its seasonal wild flowers that emerge as the first rains begin, and as the grass dries out, the large herds of buffalo, zebra and elephant are in abundance. Read More »
- Safari Activities : Activities on offer are Game drives and walking excursions, carried out by the camp’s professional guides. Most of the activities are in the Somalisa private concession but with easy access to other parts of the park.
- Our guides are some of the most experienced naturalists and professional guides in Zimbabwe. A private guide and tour leader facility is available on special request. Read More »
Somalisa Acacia is a charming small exclusive camp that camp caters for small family groups and those requiring a private experience.
- Camp situation : Somalisa Acacia is set in the heart of Hwange National Park, under the canopy of a grove of acacias on the western side of Somalisa. The camp enjoys its own private views of a small water hole that is frequented by large herds of big game which include buffalo, elephant, kudu, zebra, giraffe, and lion.
- Accomodation: Luxury tented camp
All the beautifully built but simplistic luxurious tents are on slightly raised decks, under the canopy of a grove of acacias on the western side of Somalisa. They all have en-suite bathroom facilities including flush toilet and running bucket showers.
- Capacity : 3 twin bedded tents and 1 family tent with a total of 10 beds
On special request Somalisa Acacia can be booked in conjunction with Somalisa Camp to cater for larger groups of up to 20 people.
- Facilities: The camp has its own dining and lounge area with a small splash pool enabling one to cool off and share with elephants during the heat of the day.
- Cuisine : Guests at Somalisa Acacia will enjoy the famous cuisine of Somalisa Camp.:We pride ourselves in offering delicious cuisine prepared in traditional style, balancing organic produce with gourmet dishes. Your senses will be awakened and you will feast on our sumptuous cuisine, a balance of organic produce and innovative gourmet meals complemented by a choice of South African and Australian wines. Our meals are inspired by the Far East, Europe and Africa. You will discover new and seasonal flavours, which our imaginative chef will present you with. A choice of South African and Australian wines are available.
- Communications: The camp can communicate by Satellite phone in case of emergency.
- US$ 330 – November to June included (low & medium seasons)
- US$ 550 - July to October included (high season)
US$ 150 single supplement (high season only, from July to Octopber included)
* These rates apply within 6 nights or more special.
Learn more about safari seasons »
All-inclusive policy: Our rates are per guest per night and include: accommodation based on 2 persons sharing, all meals, all beverages except premium imported spirits and champagne, two game viewing activities per day, laundry, transfer from nearest airstrip and internal transfers if needed. See details in our Rates & conditions page.