Your Luxury Tented Camp for a Safari in Hwange
A small intimate tented camp tucked away subtly under a canopy of an acacia tree island on an ancient river system. This unbeatable wild elephant sanctuary is known for its large herds of elephant and the Somalisa concession in Hwange National Park affords you with your private African wildlife encounters from the minute you step out of your tent.
Somalisa having only 12 beds has been designed as an environmentally low impact camp giving you a barefoot luxury experience with understated elegance.
Camp opens:all-year round.
Click here: Somalisa Camp to review the experience online
- Location:Hwange National Park is located half way between Bulawayo and Victoria Falls, in Western Zimbabwe. Somalisa Camp is set in a private concession within the National Park, on the Somalisa food plains along the Kennedy vlei line.
Coordinates: S 19* 02. 697′, E 027* 03. 016′
- How to get there ?
Hwange National Park is easily accessible on the road linking Bulawayo and Victoria Falls. You may join either of these city by air and / or road to reach Somalisa:
- by charter flight: we can arrange a flight to Hwange Airstrip or better, the new Manga airstrip 30 mins from the camp.
- by road transfer: Hwange National Park is about 4 hours from Kasane, 3 hours from either Victoria Falls or Bulawayo. An additional hour and a half is required to reach the camp.
- Self drive to the camp is possible: you will need 4WD and a map – please check out our safari maps or contact us for directions.
- Camp opens: all-year round.
- Children: Children under 6 years old are only accepted during Easter, Christmas and special promoted periods, or by prior arrangement: please contact us.
- Ideal length of stay: 3 or 4 days.
- Safari itineraries: Somalisa is a must if you visit Victoria Falls or pass by Bulawayo. You may easily combine your stay at Somalisa with Kanga Camp or Zambezi Life Styles in Mana Pools, Linyanti Bush Camp, Linyanti Ebony or Kwhai Tented Camp in Botswana. Check our safari itineraries or contact us!
- The environment : The largest reserve in Zimbabwe is home to one of the highest concentration of game: the park boasts more than 100 different animal species and over 400 species of birds. Moreover, Hwange is world famous for its 30,000 elephants, making it one of the few great elephant sanctuaries left in Africa. Read More »
- Wildlife : Walking and game drives will allow you the opportunity to observe elephant, kudu and sable antelope, zebra, wildebeest, gemsbok, the rare and endangered roan antelope, buffalo, giraffe, white rhino, lion, leopard, hyena, and many other wildlife species. The Kennedy vlei is littered with flamboyant colours from all its seasonal wild flowers that emerge as the first rains begin, and as the grass dries out, the large herds of buffalo, zebra and elephant are in abundance. Read More »
- Safari Activities : Activities include guided walks game drives and spot lighting as well as game viewing from hides. All are lead by qualified and passionate guides who will share their knowledge and love of the bush with you.
- Our guides are some of the most experienced naturalists and professional guides in Zimbabwe Read More »
Somalisa Camp is an authentic bush camp, a blend of old African charm and elegance together with an exclusive safari experience.
- Camp situation : Somalisa Camp is set in the heart of Hwange National Park, known as the land of the giants for its big elephant herds. Its stunning location tucked away on an acacia island along the edge of an ancient seasonal flood plain gives it breath taking views of the savannah plains of the famous Kennedy Vlei line. At Somalisa Camp, you will experience the heightened romance of the African Bush in one of the most natural environments in Africa. This is the way Africa was meant to be explored.
- Accomodation: Luxury tented camp
Only six elegantly furnished canvas tents with en suite bathrooms, flush toilet and romantic alfresco bush shower make up this camp. The décor echoes of an old era, from colonial to the ancient tribes of Africa, telling the story from all corners of this magnificent continent.
- Capacity : 6 luxury tents with a total of 12 beds.
On special request Somalisa Acacia can be booked in conjunction with Somalisa Camp to cater for larger groups of up to 20 people.
- Facilities: Facilities include main Area with library, sitting area, dining table, a swimming pool, platform overlooking a pan 3km from camp. The lounge and dining area is at the forefront of the camp, tucked under a soaring canopy of trees. Wide and well-traversed Elephant paths make up the paths connecting your room to the main area. It’s stunning main area and pool lends to complete relaxation, whether it be with a cup of tea or one of our refreshing cocktails; overlooking the pan where the herds of game congregate in large herds, offering rare moments of outstanding nature.
- Cuisine : We pride ourselves in offering delicious cuisine prepared in traditional style, balancing organic produce with gourmet dishes. Your senses will be awakened and you will feast on our sumptuous cuisine, a balance of organic produce and innovative gourmet meals complemented by a choice of South African and Australian wines. Our meals are inspired by the Far East, Europe and Africa. You will discover new and seasonal flavours, which our imaginative chef will present you with. A choice of South African and Australian wines are available.
- Eco-respect : The use of solar lighting ensures your comfort without interfering with the environment and the area’s natural surrounds. Hot water bottles will be provided for the cooler nights.
- Communications: The camp can communicate by Satellite phone in case of emergency.
- From US$ 330 – November to June included (low & medium seasons)
- From US$ 550 - July to October included (high season)
150 US$ single supplement (high season only, from July to Octopber included)
* These rates apply within 6 nights or more special.
Learn more about safari seasons »
All-inclusive policy: Our rates are per guest per night and include: accommodation based on 2 persons sharing, all meals, all beverages except premium imported spirits and champagne, two game viewing activities per day, laundry, transfer from nearest airstrip and internal transfers if needed. See details in our Rates & conditions page.